Removing Mold and Smoke Odors From Books and Documents
For as long as there have been words printed on paper mold has been busily
trying to undo what man has done. And until recently man or library scientists
have been fighting the good fight and for the most part winning. And
though we may be winning the price has been very high.
Up until 2000, mold remediation consisted of lysol spray, vacuum cleaners
with HEPA filters, respirators and hours and hours of manual labor. The
results were marginal at very best. Using stronger chemicals to actually
oxidize the mold and spores involve liquids and when the solvent evaporates, the
powder left behind is poison. Additionally, spraying any liquid on paper
documents causes damage of its own.
Using the old standard ozone has some very negative side effects like
making leather book bindings brittle and crack, oxidizing the binding cord
and bleaching everything in sight.
In the December of 2000, Pat L. Weaver-Meyers, Wilbur A. Stolt, and Barbara
Kowaleski wrote a paper titled "Controlling Mold on Library Materials
with Chlorine Dioxide: An Eight-Year Case Study" that was published
in the " Abbey Newsletter". Their problem was apparently so
sever that they were willing to wipe the books with chlorine dioxide dissolved
in water to remove the mold - AND IT WORKED!
They followed up with a product produced by Aseptrol Technology that produced
very small amounts of CLO2 that was catalyzed by the humidity in the air.
This product is now very hard to get and was not an efficient or cost effective
way to produce CLO2 even in very small quantities.
In recent years, new materials and new thinking has been applied to the
problem of safely and reliably producing small amounts of pure chlorine dioxide. This effort has resulted in the product
available on this web site called OdorXit AQM- Air Quality Manager - CLO2.
It is available in 2 packet
weights; 10 grams and 25 grams. For
the purpose of library uses, the slow release products are appropriate.
The slow release packets produce small amounts of CLO2 for 20 to 30 days
depending on the humidity (which must be higher than 40%. If the hemidity is below 40% a few drops of water can be added to the clear pouch to raise the hemidity.). When
appropriately sized for the area being treated, there is no or very little odor. If an
over sized packet is used, a slight to heavy chlorine bleach smell can be detected.
The remedy is to put the working packet in another area that needs treatment for a day or so,
then place it back in the original area to continue treatment.
The packets measure as little as 2.5 x 5 x .25 inches. The active
ingredients are sealed in a white micro-pouch.
The seal is very special in that it breaths
small quantity's of air containing water vapor and breathing out the
resulting CLO2 vapor. This micro-pouch is shipped in a water vapor proof
sealed mylar packet which must be removed to activate the process. Additionally
a clear peal and stick pouch or clamshell is supplied with each packet to mount the
packet is any convenient place. OdorXit AQM CLO2 packets usually produce usable amounts of CLO2 for 20 to
30 days after which time it will be necessary to replace them. The spent packets
can be removed and replaced indefinably.
Note: It is not necessary to replace the spent CLO2 packet just because
it has expired. CLO2 is so effective at oxidizing mold fungus and spores,
re-population is very slow and based on the ability of the
air handling system to filter out new spores and pathogens floating in the air brought into
the treated area.
In order to remove mold, odor, mildew or smoke odors from on hard bound books, you will need
a plastic tub with a cover, a closet with wire shelving and a door or a metal locker with a door that can be
closed (not a cardboard box).
- Stand the book(s) to be treated on end so that the pages can be fluffed open.
- Place the books so that the covers are open between 45 and 90 degrees
and about 1 inch apart.
- Hand soft cover books, magazines and documents from clothes handers.
- Stick the self adhering pouch on the side of the tub or near
the top of the locker
- Tear open the Mylar outer package without tearing or puncturing the
inner Tyvek packet of a 10 gram slow release packet for a tub or locker
(bigger packets are available for treating larger open areas.)
- Place the micro-pouch in the plastic contain.
- Install the cover or close the locker door without knocking the books
- Remove the books in 24 to 72 hours. All the mold will be dead and needs
only to be wiped away with a soft cloth.
The packet will continue to release small amounts of chlorine dioxide
for 20 or 30 days during which time the books in the tub
or locker can be replaced with new ones for treatment several times.
Note, when there is no smell of chlorine left, the packet
is finished or nearly finished producing vapor and should be discarded
in an outdoor garbage container - about 20-30 days.
OdorXit Products Make Life Smell Fresh! .