Chlorine Dioxide - In Layman's Terminology
What is Chlorine Dioxide or ClO2?
Chlorine Dioxide is a gas that up until very recently has always been dissolved
in water and used as either a bleaching agent or a disinfectant for hard
surfaces. Through a new and innovative packaging technology, OdorXit
ClO2, chlorine dioxide gas can be produced for direct usage in a safe and consistent way.
When using ClO2 as a gas, as opposed to dissolving it in water, it does a
much better job than chlorine: Chlorine Dioxide:
- Oxidizes spores, bacteria, virus and other odor causing agents
- Decreases the time necessary for it to be in contact with these odor
- Dissolves faster and easier than chlorine in water
- Dissolved in water it won’t cause rusting, chemical buildup;
it reduces long term maintenance costs in toilets, water treatment and
- Produces no carcinogenic byproducts like Tri Halo Methane (THM) found in drinking water when
cleaned with normal chlorine products. This has caused some researchers to use ClO2 and NOT chlorine
to disinfect drinking water.
In the past, producing ClO2 gas required large and expensive machinery,
but with the introduction of OdorXit ClO2, no machinery is required. When
the OdorXit ClO2 packets are exposed to just water or humid air they produce low levels of
The Fast Mode of OdorXit ClO2 produces enough gas per hour to raise ClO2 levels
high enough to require that people and pets leave the area being treated
during the high level treatment period (usually 24 hours or less).
The Slow Mode OdorXit ClO2 version produces much smaller amounts of ClO2 gas per
hour for 20 to 30 days. Used as advised, ClO2 levels never exceed .01
ppm which is considerably below levels that are considered an irritant or
History and Chemistry of ClO2
While ClO2 has chlorine in its name, ClO2 reaction chemistry is fundamentally
different from that of chlorine. Chlorine dioxide is a stable free
radical and functions via an oxidative rather than a chlorinating reaction.
- Its oxidative power allows it to disrupt the cell membranes of microorganisms
so that nutrients cannot be carried into the cell. Many commonly used
disinfectants are not effective against the cell membrane and instead interrupt
the metabolism of the microorganism. Then the microorganism can develop
resistance to the disinfectant.
- ClO2 oxidizes the microorganism BEFORE it can develop
any resistance, oxidizeing the microorganism on contact.
- Some oxidizers can be too powerful in their oxidation. ClO2 is
unique because although it is highly oxidative, it is also highly selective.
- This means that ClO2 doesn't react
with whatever material is present; it selectively oxidizes and destroys
certain microorganisms and is not wasted on benign matter. Due to
its oxidizing power, ClO2 has
excellent capability to penetrate biofilms where certain bacteria such
as Legionella hide and cannot be oxidized by most disinfectants including
Air quality is just as important today as water quality and has received
significant attention in the last few years by consumers as well as
regulatory and governmental agencies. The market is literally flooded with deodorizers
emphasizing ”they are the only one that really works”, when in
fact, all they do is “mask” the odor with some sort of
Odors can be caused by a number of factors and often are associated
with bacterial presence, food processing, smoke, and industrial processes. The
List of chemical substances causing odors is very extensive but most odor-causing
compounds are derived from the chemical compound of sulfur and nitrogen such
as amines, cyanides, hydrogen sulfide, mercaptans, aldehydes and phenols – all
poisons at sufficient concentration levels.
This combination makes OdorXit ClO2 a powerful weapon
to control odors in confined spaces. The OdorXit ClO2 Dry
Media design will control odor-causing bacteria, mold, mildew and chemical
odors. This product is based on
the production of ClO2 gas and is capable of
producing a controlled concentration of ClO2 in
the air based on specific ratios of relative humidity and temperature
and meets the current OSHA permissible exposure limit (PEL) of 0.1
ppm as an 8-hour time-weighed average.
If you have questions, call the odor experts at 1-877-636-7948.